19

Back In Time

Posted by cibol on 6:47 AM
The appearance, the rusty salon doors, the design and everything about it tells it all. By looking at it you might have guess it right that the building itself must be around at least a century old or perhaps nearby. Being inside the place is like being back in time and I felt just that when I entered Coliseum Cafe & Hotel - one of the famous tourist dining place along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. This particular diner had been doling out wholesome food to loyal customers with generous servings and a journey back in time experience.



According to goingplaces magazine, the Coliseum which was named after Rome's famous landmark opened its doors in 1921. Imagine how old it is. The cafe was set up to cater to the English living in then Malaya and still now you can find a lot of expat dining in this place - closer to home, perhaps and especially when you're so sick of nasi lemak and roti canai.



I happened to know about this place when baby showed me goingplaces and so we thought that it might be a place worth to visit, and so we did. We took LRT from my place and stop at Bandaraya station which is nearby SOGO. Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman is on the other side of the building, along the place they call "Little India" I supposed. Along the way you can see a lot of shops selling silks, clothes - and of course the famous Harrisons.





Yesterday once more eh?



Antique design



Chak! Boom! Boom!



And so we ordered this lot and yes it was quite heavy for breakfast, it serves lunch as well for us and I guess it's brunch then.





I must say, even though the food looks expensive and sounds so, but in this case - it was rather cheap comparatively.



but this is one expensive "telur dadar".



We find time to walk around the cafe as it was quite early and I bet we were their first customer for the day. The coliseum has been visited by many famous names, some of whom are being sketch by our very own famous cartoonist and a regular patron himself, Dato' Lat - You know "kampung Boy"?



We spent some time looking at the articles hanging on the wall.



Owh, almost forgot our soup of the day - French onion soup.



and my cup of cappucino



Love it

19 Comments


The restaurant is nice. The exterior and interior is so different. Nicely decorated and all the furniture looks old but nice. The foods are nice also.


Eh I wanna go there again..can? can?


Superman : Yes, it was indeed a beautiful experience dining there.

Baby : That's not a problem but maybe next time we should until they're fully open. I guess that other day, they were like a little bit "oh, got customer" kind of.


That have to wait till lunch hour or dinner..morning not that hot ma..unless u got transport le


Last time I went was some over 20 years ago. Would love to go again. My next trip to KL, ok, cibol?


Baby : Yeah, that would probably be a good idea. Better! So that they'll be more ready .. ha ha ha

suituapui : It's actually part of the plan but then since like you said "KL people dun really know maps", we scrapped that off .. ha ha ha


wow, someone's playing hide and seek? the fame blogger suddenly disappeared in the air then suddenly I found your blog again over here.

nice working in kl, ya?


jani : Hi there! Well, something went wrong with my hosting, so I moved here. How did you find this by the way?


its rather not user friendly to post a comment here ler.
hmm, i happened to drop by at daniel's blog then saw him talking about u. haha. then I was like, oh this guys is still around eh?
hahaha


Hi there, cibol! Nice meeting you that night @ Baywatch. I don't remember stepping into this cafe before, but it sure looks very interesting! Oh, the food makes me hungry! : )


jani : I'm sorry about the comment thingy but as far as i'm concerned that has always been the problem with blogger.com.

Yeah, I was in exile mode for a few weeks after my hosting got suspended and then after a while I decided to just continue my blog with blogger.com. That's how I ended up here.

foongpc : Hey foong! Nice to be meeting you too. This cafe is one of those famous tourist spot in KL. Used to be a diner to cater to the British in Malaya back then. Do check it out, this was recommended by goingplaces - MAS official mag.


Hi cibol, thanks for commenting on my blog the other day, and for blogging about this restaurant. It's quite near both the Bandaraya LRT and KTM station if I'm not mistaken? :)


Wanting to go to Coliseum for a long time, but when was in KL never really make an effort to stop by, sigh! I heard the steaks there are awesomely good, and looking at those food photos, I must make time to this place somewhere in the future.

KL people don't know maps? That's kinda true, most KL people I know, don't even know how to go from PJ to Ampang etc. :) Too bad I was not around, to play tourist guide ahaks!


shit.. failed jor my first comment.. my browser got problem with blogger.. haha.. eh cibol - berapa budget for the restaurant? mahal tak? it looks good tho...


JL : Hi there Jim! Yeah, it's along there actually, but on the other side of SOGO. If you know little India or Coliseum itself, you should be able to spot the place. I think the only colonial-like building around.

bongkersz : Yeah, you should. KL people? Hopeless! Sarawakians in Kl are better - that shows we wander a lot. Ha ha ha

JiNG : Budget? I must say at around 20-30 for a decent meal. It's quite cheap if you want to compare to secret recipe tho .. ha ha ha. I mean, the price doesn't really matter for this place but the atmosphere! That's what we're paying for! But I must say, for its kind, it's kinda cheap tho.


oh.. which is not bad i guess... just to make sure mah.. else later end up paying prices like St. francisco.. haha


Jimmy : Yup, not bad at all. So, you're going to treat me there is it?


Other side of SOGO? I would think it's the same side - on the left, if you're coming down along Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman - past Pertama, past Sogo...in the old-type shop houses BEFORE the Coliseum cinema that usually showed Indian movies.

P.S. Who washed your t-shirt, so kuat until so wrinkled? Baby kah? WOW!!! Hahahahahaha!!!


suituapui : If you're taking LRT, it is the other side of SOGO, same row lah but need to go the other side of SOGO.

That was washed by me lah! Ha ha ha

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Copyright © 2009 The Banker Rants All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.